Tech Transfer Specialist – Washington State University, Viticulture and Enology Program – Prosser, WA
(Full-time/Year round/Temporary position)
A key to the success of all applied research programs is rapid transfer of new ideas and technologies to industry. This position is designed as a technology transfer specialist. The successful applicant will be working directly with Research and Extension faculty in the WSU Viticulture & Enology Program, to disseminate applied research results to industry partners.
The successful applicant will manage assigned research projects under the guidance of V&E research and extension specialists. These projects will be focused on, but not limited to, collaborative trials in commercial vineyards and wineries. Primary responsibilities include experimental design and set-up, research equipment use and maintenance, data collection and analysis, report preparation, and on-going communication with both research and extension faculty and industry partners. Work will include travel to vineyard and winery sites across Washington State; however, most research and extension sites will be within a one-hour drive from Prosser, WA.
The technology transfer specialist will collect and report on research and technology needs to WSU research and extension specialists as they are expressed by industry members.
Bachelor degree in relevant field of study (Viticulture, Enology, Horticulture, Agriculture, Ag Engineering, Biology, Botany, Statistics) or equivalent related field experience performing professional-level work with scientific or clinical research protocols.
- Experimental and analytical skills.
- Understanding and knowledge of research theory.
- Interviewing experience.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Solid understanding of experimental design, sampling strategies, and statistical data analysis.
- Documented experience in preparing research reports and publications.
- Competency in use of computers and successfully use word, spreadsheet, data processing, and statistics software.
- Master’s degree in Viticulture, Enology, Horticulture, Agriculture, Ag Engineering, Biology, Botany, Statistics, or related field.
- Two years of experience with scientific research protocols and field research.
- Practical experience with vineyard and winery operations.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish.
- Experience with the use and maintenance of modern field research equipment and procedures (e.g. data logger, gas-exchange system, pressure chamber, neutron probe, tractor operation, etc.)
- Computer programming or modeling experience.
For the complete job description please go to: http://ext.wsu.edu/careers/ap/index.html.
Screening Begin Date: 26 July 2012
Position Close Date: Open Until Filled
Required Applicant Documents: (i) Names and contact information for three references; ii) Cover letter addressing qualifications as they relate to this position including career goals and philosophy; (iii) Resume; (iv) College transcripts upon request.
Background Check: Employment is contingent upon a successful background and motor vehicle records check.
To apply visit: www.wsujobs.com
Contact Information regarding position duties: Dr. Thomas Henick-Kling, Director, Viticulture & Enology Program, phone: 509-372-7224,
email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website: http://wine.wsu.edu
WSU is an EO/AA Educator and Employer