The ASEV Extension Distinction Award recognizes a current extension educator based on his or her outstanding contribution of:
(1) information in enology or viticulture through his or her extension program, or (2) the translation of novel research findings into commercially applicable tools for enologists or viticulturists. The award may be given annually depending upon nominations.
The award recognizes distinguished contributions in extension with expertise in enology or viticulture. Nominees must be ASEV members and not previous recipients of this award. Nominations of individuals actively engaged in extension and the translation of new or existing technical knowledge in the fields encompassed by enology and viticulture are encouraged. Nominators must be current ASEV members. Ad hoc selection committees composed by the ASEV Board recommend recipients based on the submitted nominations for each award designation period. The final selection and approval is made by the ASEV Board. The recipients receive a plaque and monetary award and are expected to make a presentation on their programs at the upcoming ASEV National Conference.
The nomination process includes the following requirements:
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae including full contact information.
- A brief (not to exceed 500 words) letter indicating the reason for nominating this individual. This letter should identify the major contributions on which the nomination is based and explain why the nominee is especially qualified to receive this award. Each of the following criteria should be addressed in the statement:
- A. A noteworthy career in viticulture or enology extension education leading to an effective program of significant impact in the grape and wine industry.
- B. Outstanding and innovative activities, projects, and/or methods that brought substantial and desirable changes in the grape and wine industry in the nominee’s state or district.
- C. Other major contributions, activities, and services to the wine or grape industry in the area of extension of information.
- D. Demonstrated leadership in enology or viticulture extension activities.
- Letters of support may be requested by the ad hoc selection committee if deemed necessary for evaluation of a candidate.
- Nominees not selected for the award in the year of the initial nomination shall be kept on file for automatic consideration again the next year, without requiring re-nomination form
Deadline: Submit nominations by email through November 1.